7 Tips for Collecting Your Family Law Money Judgment

So you have spent months (or maybe even years) reaching a resolution in your matter, but the process is not over yet. If you received a money judgment against your ex-spouse as part of your Judgment, you still need to collect these funds and you probably want to do it quickly and cheaply!

Here are some simple, and some not so simple, but effective tips for collecting money owed to you:

  1. Mailing Information

    Make sure you provide a permanent address where they can mail the payment (alternatively, ask if they are willing to do a bank transfer provide your bank information).

  2. Be Accommodating

    Being flexible about payment terms is a simple way to increase your odds of receiving payment with little effort. While the party may fully intend to pay you, they may not have contemplated real world application of regular payments. If the Judgment provides for regular payments, you can offer to accept less if they pay you immediately. You can offer to accept payments weekly or biweekly rather than monthly. If you opt to receive regular payments, setting up an automatic deposit can be helpful and also offer some peace of mind.

  3. Follow-up Letter

    If your former spouse fails to pay by the court ordered date, write a letter (or an email) reminding them that they owe you money and the consequences of failing to pay the debt, including, inter alia, accumulation of interest at the rate of 10% and negative effect on their credit rating. Further state that failure to pay may result in more serious action being taken, including wage garnishment or levying of their bank accounts. Sometimes, it can make a big difference if you have an attorney send this letter on your behalf.

  4. Asset Tracking

    After receiving a Judgment, you (“creditor”) can ask your former spouse (“debtor”) to appear in court to answer questions about their financial status and assets. If they fail to appear, the court may issue a bench warrant for their arrest. Determining their assets helps you know what steps you should next take to collect on those assets.

  5. Obtaining a Lien on Real Property

    You must draft an “Abstract of Judgment” to be certified by the clerk of the court and recorded at the county recorder’s office. All required information must be included otherwise the lien will not be valid. After obtaining the lien, you may get paid once they refinance or sell the property. Remember, if the debtor owns property in more than one country, you need to record the “Abstract of Judgment” in every county where property is owned.

  6. Collecting debtor’s wages (aka wage garnishment)

    You can obtain an Earnings Withholding Order to garnish the debtor’s wages until paid. Remember, you can only garnish up to 25% of the amount over the federal minimum wage that they earn.

  7. Collecting money from debtor’s bank account

    You can levy the debtor’s bank account. This is completed by asking the court to issue a “Writ of Execution”. There are several required court forms that must be completed in order to complete a “Writ of Execution”. If you decide to take this enforcement route, it may be beneficial to obtain the assistance from a family law attorney as this process is procedurally intensive

Sometimes, getting the Judgment or Family Law Court Order is only half the battle. In cases where your ex is hiding assets and/or refusing to pay, considering meeting with an experienced family law attorney to help you with collection. To schedule a legal strategy session with a Family Law Specialist, contact us today.

One thought on “7 Tips for Collecting Your Family Law Money Judgment

  1. Thanks for the tip about sending a follow-up letter when my former spouse fails to pay child support by the court ordered date. I haven’t experienced any problems yet, but this is good information to know. Do you recommend having a lawyer send it for me?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *